- Preparation time : 10 min
- Ready in : 10 min
Do your kids just LOVE ketchup? Too bad the commonly available, store-bought ketchups are often full of high fructose corn syrup and other undesirable ingredients, like preservatives and lots of salt. Tomatoes are very healthy, and making ketchup yourself is a quick and easy, child-friendly cooking activity. Helena ( five years) did it! No need to restrain ketchup usage anymore.
- about 350g or about 1,5 cups of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (or other vinegar)
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- pepper to taste
- pinch of salt (omit this if the tomate paste comes salted)
- about 1/2 cup of water
Optionally – mix according to your taste
- 4 cloves (grind in a morser if needed)
- 1 tsp chinese five space or a mixture of e.g. nutmeg, cinnamon, fennel, star anice
- Bragg’s seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sage
- mix all the spices
- add water to get desired consistency
- fill into a bottle (old ketchup containers do well)
- Refrigerate and ready!
For longer shelf life, boil the container if made of glass.
Get the children to help
Easy tasks for younger children
- measure and mix all the ingredients
Moderate tasks for older children
- fill the ketchup into the container