- Preparation time : 15 min + 5 min
- Ready in : 1h 35 min
Delicious cakes do not need to be unhealthy sweet bombs – if you use smaller amounts of healthier sugars including raw molasses, coconut nectar and unsulphured (blackstrap) molasses. Using these sugars provides many nutrients that are devoid in refined, white sugar. Blackstrap molasses in particular are rich in iron, calcium and have a low GI, and are therefore absorbed slowly.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp raw molasses sugar (or coconut palm)
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar (alternatively maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, ground finely
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda, dissolved in 2 tbs warm water
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
For the icing:
5 tbsp cream cheese
3 tbsp Greek yogurt
3 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celcius / 325 degrees F
- Melt the butter together with sugar, molasses, ginger and cinnamon in a saucepan.
- Turn of the heat, and add milk, eggs, and baking soda.
- Measure flour into a bowl and pour the liquids in, beating well until well mixed.
- Pour into an oven dish, and bake for 45 min to one hour – until risen and firm (don’t overcook – a bit sticky is great)
- Cool down and prepare the icing by mixing all the ingredients
- Spread the icing over the bake and enjoy
Get the children to help
Easy tasks for younger children
- measure the ingredients
- measure and mix the icing ingredients
Moderate tasks for older children
- spread the icing on the cake