- Preparation time : 20 min
- Ready in : 20 min
These chunky tacos are a big hit with Liza’s boys. She can’t recall having eaten those at home before, so trying this new recipe – with everyone helping – was a lot fun.
- 500 gm salmon
2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped/torn or 1 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
generous pinch of chili powder
salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large purple onion, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, slice, then cut into strips
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into fine long strips (like match sticks)
- 12 snap peas, or snow peas, cut into ‘match sticks’ (threads removed)
- 1 large carrot, cut into ‘match sticks’
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 12 corn taco shells
- halves limes to decorate
- Place salmon under dish, add salt & pepper to taste. Cook for about 10 minutes, until done to taste.
- Meanwhile, please skillet over medium heat, ad 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add in onion, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add zucchini, lime juice, basil, salt, pepper and chili powder
- Once cooked, place in a warmed dish.
- Add another tbsp oil to the skillet
- Stir fry yellow pepper, carrot and snow peas for a few minutes
- Place in a 2nd warmed dish
- Place taco shells under the grill to warm (about 30 seconds each side)
- With 2 forks, break cooked salmon into flakes and place in warmed dish
- Place tacos on to a serving dish
- Fill with shredded lettuce, salmon, lime onion & zucchini, and ‘match stick’ vegetables
- Decorate with lime slices, or remaining fresh basil leaves
Get the children to help
Easy tasks for younger children
- tear basil leaves into small pieces
- squeeze fresh lime juice
- measure 2 tbsp olive oil
- shred lettuce
- Decorate the plates with lime slices, or fresh basil leaves
Moderate tasks for older children
- slice onion, zucchini or pepper – whichever you like the best
- cut peas and carrot into ‘match sticks’ (threads removed)
- make the wraps
April 8, 2015
My kids just love making these (we are using rye wraps instead of tacos). Totally delicious!